Skip to main content

The Karate Kid

6-28-2010
Countryside Cinema
Great

It would have been better if it wasn't a remake. However, Karate Kid has such a great fomula you didn't mind many things being the same as the original. In fact, I kind of got upset that it wasn't exactly like the original, only with different characters in a different setting.
I though the main characters were too young. It's hard to relate to a love story with a 12 year old. Jaden Smith needs a new hair cut, he looks like a girl, no I mean he really looks like a girl. He needs also to stop acting in the same manner as his Dad. It just reinforces that he's too young to be an actor of his own making. Ok maybe I'm too picky, but it's just a thought. I thought Jackie Chan (who I'm not a big fan of) showed a great deal of emotion and acted very well, even if it was hard to understand him from time to time.

Do not expect this to be as good as the original because it's not, however I think they got it right. Just like the version from the 80's it highlights the music and stereotypes of it's time. Just like the 80's version it has a great story and formula to make you cheer for Daniel son the entire time...or whatever this new kid's name is. Maybe rent it, but you won't need to buy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPzmk1rEPzw&feature=channel

Comments

  1. I loved the original Karate Kid! I guess I'll have to check this one out too. Maybe it's at Red Box, or soon will be.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Seven Pounds

1/2/2009 The Grand Theater Good Why was it called 7 pounds. This movie could have been excellent. It had great acting. The storytelling was the problem. It's annoying because you don't find out the whole story until the very end. That's ok if what we find at the end is something amazing, or shocking. Something like "Seven" "Fight Club" "Sixth Sense" They had shocking ending which made not knowing what's going on worth it. 7 pounds wasn't worth it. It was about redemption, however the main character didn't need redemption, he himself suffered great loss, and those he helped were random and unconnected to those he hurt, accidentally. If they were somehow connected, then maybe it would have been better. If maybe there were no clues given it wouldhave worked better. The clues were given throughout the film, and you can piece it together yourself. The problem is you're not surprised by the ending you've been waiting for, yo...

The Reader

2/16/2009 The Grand Theater Excellent Where is the press on this one? What a great movie. Very sensual, if you're uncomfortable with naked people, this one isn't for you. There's a lot of naked. There was so much involved in WWII it's amazing how many stories can come from it on all sides. Great acting, go see it!

Green Book

Green Book AMC High Point 8 Superior This was a great movie. It made you laugh, it made you cry. It was a really interesting look at a topic that's been looked in to many times. Even though the theme was the same, this movie felt fresh and original. I can fully support this movie for Best Picture.